Coop / Homestead Vision and Action

The New Hoop Coop

IMGP0664Our friend Rob constructed our hoop coop.  We gave him pictures of Out of Order Acres‘ coop and Gypsy Farmgirl’s coop posts part 1 and part 2, and he sort of improvised from there.  With  materials left from old projects and found in our treasure-chest of a garage at the new place, he constructed a sturdy 8′ by 8′ hoop coop, only purchasing the chicken wire and cattle panels.  (Yes, hardware cloth would be much safer than the chicken wire, but it also costs a lot more.  Between the study cattle panels, the thick tarp, and the coop’s proximity to the house, we are hoping to make it through the summer without incident.)   I asked Rob to share a few things he did to make the coop sturdier for us.

IMGP0780Rob notched the side pieces of the bottom frame and set the perpendicular pieces into it to make a sturdier frame.  We hope to be able to pull it with the tractor.  The cattle panel is attached to the bottom frame with fence staples.  He used a staple gun with an air compressor.  If you have one, it definitely makes the job easier than having to hammer in the staples by hand.

IMGP0693He sandwiched all of the chicken wire between the thick framing pieces and trim boards to make it harder to pull the wire off.

IMGP0789To create the radiating pieces which support the arch-shape, he held up the piece of wood next to the frame piece and used a pencil to scribe the arch he wanted.  He was able to use a skill saw to cut along the slightly curved line.

IMGP0782Rob tightened down the chicken wire to the cattle panel framework by twisting a loop of wire with pliers until it was taut.

IMGP0784

IMGP0783He also made a 24″ overlap in the rolls of chicken wire to make it harder for a critter to wiggle between the pieces.  He plans to sew the overlap with wire.

IMGP0790

IMGP0781When he first erected the coop, he didn’t think it needed a beam across the top, but it seemed to sag a bit in the middle after a day.  So, he added one, which should also help a bit with snow.

IMGP0697The roosts are two little trees from an area we are clearing for a cabin elsewhere on the property.  I set-up the metal nesting boxes from my old coop, but I am mad at them because the metal hangers fell off and the raw metal sliced my fingers when I was moving the box.  I’m not sure if this piece will make it to the permanent coop.

IMGP0785

IMGP0791The door is an old screen door that we actually pulled off of the house.  The existing mosquito netting was backed with 1/2″ hardware cloth.  Rob cut down the bottom and added two bolts, top and bottom, to secure the door.

IMGP0698The tarps I had on hand were really too small, so the men replaced the tarp you see with a 16′ by 10′ tarp which covers all of the side and top and protects them from the rain and wind.  Once the permanent coop is completed, this will be used to house bachelors / meat birds, hens with their broods, etc.  We might also make a few more to use for other things around the property, like greenhouses and other temporary shelters.  We’ll see.  We’re really pleased with how the coop came together.

Advertisements

3 thoughts on “The New Hoop Coop

  1. A lot of thought went into this all the way around. I really like the attention to detail and the way you customized the coop to your surroundings – adding the beam to the ceiling and the protection from predators. My favorite part is the roosts! I love that you used trees!

  2. Pingback: Update on the Big Move | Scratch Cradle

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s