Well, the hatch is over. I ended up having 21 chicks hatch, one died, and another was deformed and had to be put down. I will discuss the losses in later posts, but I want to celebrate the chicks I have! After the last update, I had one more Speckled Sussex chick hatch!
So, the final total, minus the losses is: 6 Basque Hens, 1 Orpington mix, 2 Marans mixes, 2 Birchen Marans, 1 Brown Leghorn, and 7 Speckled Sussex and Sussex Easter Eggers; 19 chicks. The eggs I set from my flock did fantastically well both here and in Arizona! My swap partner hatched 9 out of 10 eggs that I sent! I think my breeder ration and shipping method made a great impact.
This hatch has definately made me believe in the power of shipping methods. 0 out of 7 of these eggs hatched:
While 9 out of 10 of these eggs hatched:
I candled the eggs along the way and posted pictures of days 1 to 14 here on the blog. I am posting all of the candling pictures from day 1 to 18 together here.