As the weather cooled, we decided it was time to get the windows up on the coop. We found a number of windows in the crawl space under the house, and I chose the ones with the six separate panes. Using two hinges per window, we hung them from the top, allowing them to be propped open and still keep out the weather.
We still need to cover the vents. I will most likely screw a piece of plywood over the large vent in the back which is on roost-level to prevent any chance of a draft. If the windows are leaking air, they will be covered with pieces of clear, plastic drop cloth taped down with duct or painter’s tape. The small vent at the top of the eastern wall will remain open in all but the worst weather. Lastly, I will buy bales of straw to set around the coop for added insulation.
Because the girls were flying out of the run, I added the last few feet of wire around the big run. Then, they flew over the temporary door, prompting me to finally get the door up, and I’m glad I did. The coop finally feels nearly finished as it is now fully-functional. Only trim paint and vent covers remain on the to-do list for this year.