Yesterday was my first day off from work for the summer. I took the opportunity to work on the project most forefront in my mind – the enclosed run for the small coop. When I first moved the Easter chicks into this location, I had underestimated the amount of wire I needed and so created a half-sized run just to get them outside. The “door” was a piece of chicken wire tied off with three or four twists of wire which I had to twist and untwist for entry and secure with a brick to prevent escape. Yesterday, I completed the full perimeter of the run, secured what existed, tied off the wire to the posts for the door, and finally, after the sun went down, completed the installation of the run door. I still need to install the “rabbit guard” wire which has a thicker, stronger gauge, and I’d like to dig down the bumpy area in front of the door and put in sand over chicken wire to make it easier to open. But, in the meantime, here is my progress from yesterday:
Mark and his friend picked up the materials for the 8′ x 8′ coop last night. Although the materials are now wet from storms last night, we should be able to construct most of the coop today!
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. ~ Thomas Edison